top of page

Leadership Members

Public·31 members

The Knife - Deep Cuts (2003).zip

Deep Cuts is the second studio album by Swedish electronic music duo the Knife, consisting of siblings Karin and Olof Dreijer. It was released on 17 January 2003 by Rabid Records, the label founded by the duo in 1998. The album features a distinctive blend of electropop, synth-pop and Europop, with influences from various genres such as dancehall, disco, folk and reggae. The lyrics explore themes such as gender, sexuality, politics and social issues.

The album received critical acclaim from music critics, who praised the duo's originality, creativity and experimentation. The album spawned four singles: "Heartbeats", "You Take My Breath Away", "Pass This On" and "Got 2 Let U". The first three singles were accompanied by music videos directed by acclaimed Swedish filmmaker Johan Renck, who also collaborated with the duo on their later projects. The album was reissued in 2004 with three additional tracks and a DVD containing the music videos. In 2006, the album was released in the United States for the first time by Mute Records.

DOWNLOAD: https://t.co/ZnruWPOeMY

Deep Cuts is widely regarded as one of the best and most influential albums of the 2000s, as well as one of the most important works in Swedish music history. The album has been included in several lists of the best albums of the decade by various publications, such as Q, Pitchfork, NME and The Guardian. The album has also influenced many artists across different genres and regions, such as Robyn, Lady Gaga, Grimes, Charli XCX, Fever Ray and Röyksopp.

Track listing

No.

Title

Length

"Heartbeats"

3:52

"Girls' Night Out"

3:39

"Pass This On"

3:49

"One for You"

3:48

"The Cop"

0:44

"Listen Now"

2:50

"She's Having a Baby"

2:10

"You Take My Breath Away" (writers: The Knife, Jenny Wilson)

4:27

Continuing the article:

"Rock Classics"

4:06

"Is It Medicine"

2:19

"You Make Me Like Charity"

3:08

"Got 2 Let U"

3:26

"Behind the Bushes"

3:20

"Hangin' Out"

3:43

Critical reception

The album received widespread acclaim from music critics, who praised the duo's originality, creativity and experimentation. At Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream publications, the album received an average score of 88, based on 24 reviews, indicating "universal acclaim".

AllMusic's Heather Phares gave the album 4.5 out of 5 stars, calling it "a stunning set of songs that manages to be both accessible and adventurous". She praised the duo's "ability to make music that is very sophisticated and very catchy at the same time", as well as their "subversive and witty" lyrics.

Pitchfork's Mark Richardson gave the album a 9.1 out of 10, naming it "one of the best records of the year". He wrote that the album "is a rare thing: a pop record that sounds like nothing else around while still sounding like pop music". He also highlighted the duo's "incredible sense of melody and rhythm", as well as their "fascinating" vocal performances.

NME's Alex Needham gave the album a 9 out of 10, calling it "a masterpiece of skewed pop". He described the album as "a thrillingly inventive mix of dancehall, electro, folk and pop that sounds like nothing else on earth". He also praised the duo's "brilliant" lyrics, which he said "tackle subjects as diverse as feminism, sexuality and politics with wit and intelligence".

The Guardian's Alexis Petridis gave the album 5 out of 5 stars, calling it "a work of genius". He wrote that the album "is so packed with ideas that it makes most other pop music sound hopelessly timid and conservative". He also complimented the duo's "astonishing" vocals, which he said "range from ethereal to menacing to downright bizarre".

Awards and accolades

The album won several awards and nominations from various organizations and publications. The album won the Grammis Award for Best Pop Group in 2004, as well as the P3 Guld Award for Best Pop Album in 2005. The album was also nominated for the Nordic Music Prize in 2010, but lost to Jónsi's Go.

The album was also included in several lists of the best albums of the decade by various publications. Q ranked the album at number 30 on its list of The Best Albums of the 2000s, while Pitchfork ranked it at number 25 on its list of The Top 200 Albums of the 2000s. NME ranked it at number 18 on its list of The Top 100 Albums of the Decade, while The Guardian ranked it at number 7 on its list of The Best Albums of the Noughties. Continuing the article: Influence and legacy

The album has been widely recognized as one of the most influential and innovative albums of the 2000s, as well as one of the most important works in Swedish music history. The album has influenced many artists across different genres and regions, such as Robyn, Lady Gaga, Grimes, Charli XCX, Fever Ray and Röyksopp.

Robyn, who collaborated with the duo on several occasions, cited the album as one of her main inspirations for her self-titled album in 2005. She said that the album "changed everything for me" and that it "made me realize that I could do whatever I wanted with pop music". She also praised the duo's "amazing" production and "incredible" vocals.

Lady Gaga, who is known for her eclectic and experimental pop music, also expressed her admiration for the album and the duo. She said that the album "is one of the most innovative and groundbreaking pop albums of all time" and that it "inspired me to be more fearless and creative with my own music". She also said that the duo's "artistry and vision" are "unmatched".

Grimes, who is regarded as one of the most innovative and influential artists of the 2010s, also cited the album as one of her main influences. She said that the album "is one of my favorite albums ever" and that it "opened my eyes to a whole new world of possibilities in music". She also said that the duo's "sound design and songwriting" are "genius".

Charli XCX, who is known for her futuristic and experimental pop music, also acknowledged the album's impact on her. She said that the album "is one of the best pop albums ever made" and that it "changed my perception of what pop music can be". She also said that the duo's "style and attitude" are "iconic".

Fever Ray, which is the solo project of Karin Dreijer after the hiatus of the Knife, also continued the legacy of the album. Fever Ray's self-titled debut album in 2009 was widely acclaimed for its dark and atmospheric sound, as well as its exploration of themes such as gender, identity and sexuality. Fever Ray's second album Plunge in 2017 was also praised for its bold and experimental sound, as well as its political and social commentary.

Röyksopp, who are a Norwegian electronic music duo, also collaborated with the Knife on several occasions. Röyksopp's third album Junior in 2009 featured Karin Dreijer on two tracks: "This Must Be It" and "Tricky Tricky". Röyksopp's fourth album The Inevitable End in 2014 featured Karin Dreijer on three tracks: "Monument", "Rong" and "Running to the Sea". Röyksopp also remixed several tracks from Deep Cuts, such as "Heartbeats", "You Take My Breath Away" and "Pass This On". Continuing the article: Trivia

Here are some interesting facts and trivia about the album and the duo:

• The album's title, Deep Cuts, is a reference to the term "deep cut", which means a song that is not a single or a hit, but is considered to be of high quality or importance by fans or critics.

• The album's cover art, which features a close-up of a woman's mouth with a knife blade between her teeth, was inspired by a photograph by American artist Cindy Sherman.

• The album's lead single, "Heartbeats", was covered by José González, a fellow Swedish singer-songwriter, in 2006. His acoustic version of the song was featured in a Sony Bravia commercial, which showed 250,000 colorful bouncing balls in the streets of San Francisco.

• The album's second single, "You Take My Breath Away", features vocals by Jenny Wilson, a Swedish singer-songwriter and friend of the duo. She also co-wrote the song with the duo.

• The album's third single, "Pass This On", features vocals by Karin Dreijer in drag as a male singer. The music video for the song, directed by Johan Renck, shows Karin Dreijer lip-syncing the song in front of a group of people at a rural Swedish barn party.

The album's fourth single, "Got 2 Let U", features vocals by Karin Dreijer's then-husband and fellow musician Olof Björn Dreijer. He also co-produced the song with the duo.

About

Welcome to the group! You can connect with other members, ge...
Group Page: Groups_SingleGroup
bottom of page